A severe weather event is not something most people can predict, and as a result, most farm insurance policies will cover your assets in case of severe weather, which they will consider covered perils.
You need agricultural insurance because if any unexpected problem ever strikes your business, it is your insurance benefits that will be able to help you in the course of your recovery. Severe weather, and any number of additional perils, could strike your home at any time. For that reason, you should be able to rely on your insurance benefits to provide a comfortable level of weather coverage.
Nevertheless, comprehensive farm insurance policies do come with their limits, and in a disaster scenario, weather damage could easily exceed the values of your policies. That’s why you can and should take steps before severe weather strikes to try to reduce the risk of potential damages.
Securing Your Farm Before Severe Weather
No two storms are alike. You never know exactly how severe one might be until it’s too late to do anything to protect yourself. That’s why you should do all you can during periods of good weather to prevent severe weather damage as best you can. Make sure you secure your farm beforehand.
· If severe cold or snow threatens, move your livestock to safe places. That way, you can better ensure that they won’t suffer exposure. Also secure any agricultural stores to make sure they won’t spoil.
· Ensure that your buildings are strong and insulated. The structural reliability of these buildings can reduce the risk of severe damages from any weather phenomena. Don’t forget to make sure that there are not obvious fire risks that could cause extreme damage in severe weather.
· Before storms, make sure you have a detailed inventory of your livestock and crop value. This inventory can help account for any missing animals or damaged crops in the event of losses. They can also help you support your insurance claims.
· Store machinery in safe places that can insulate it from the storm. Make sure that you keep your machinery properly maintained, because by doing so, you can help minimize any damage that might occur.
· Protect your assets in a conscientious way. If you negligently maintain your farm, you could have a hard time getting insurance to cover storm damage claims.
Don’t forget to make sure to consider what weather most affects your farm. This can help you tailor your insurance policy to best meet your needs.
Miller Farrell Insurance can help you get the right coverage to protect your farm from storms. You can even go online right now to get a free online quote. Give us a call today for more information.